6 January 2014

Daxi Old Street

We just had our first Sunday off that we didn't have to worry about waking up really early the next day to work at the elementary school because the semester is over! Safe to say, we were pretty excited! For the past three months on Sundays, we would try to go out and do something considering it is our ONE day off a week but we would feel constantly plagued by thoughts of finishing a slideshow and waking up at 7AM.

There are a few places near Taipei/Taoyuan that I want to visit before I leave Taiwan and since Rick is doing a trip all around Taiwan on his own, we decided that I get to decide what we do for our last few Sundays. This Sunday, I was torn between going to Daxi Old Street and Keelung but ultimately, I picked Daxi Old Street.

We google mapped our directions and we were off. It was a thirty minute scooter ride but it was pretty straightforward. We arrived around 11:30/12 oclock which was nice because it wasn't too busy yet. Daxi Old Street was exactly what I expected it to be. A cute little street filled with lots of little things to eat, cute stores, and lots of people.

Atlas and I enjoying the busy street

The first food we had were steamed buns. But these steamed buns were easily the best I have ever had. Steamed buns are a favourite amongst foreigners living in Taiwan but I am usually not impressed with them. These had me speechless. At the end of our day, I actually went back to get some more. We had some deep fried mushrooms, some mini shephard-pie style cakes that Rick wasn't too fond of and did a little more shopping. We also stopped by a temple and took some pictures of the nice views there.

Atlas is a little camera shy

I'm actually in love with this picture

After we enjoyed our food and drinks, we took a rest in a park and just walked around enjoying ourselves. By the time we were ready to leave, the street was packed with even more people. I actually was surprised how busy it was. At this point, I was pretty happy we came as early as we did.

On the way back to the apartment, I was exhausted. I was legitimately falling asleep on the back of the scooter. This probably has to due with the fact that I am still just getting over being sick. For a few days there, I was losing and regaining my voice every single day but since I went to a doctor, I seem to be on the mend. But that didn't stop me from falling asleep at every red light and then being jerked awake when Rick started to drive again. After I told him I kept felling asleep and he said, "I wondered why you kept hitting me in the head, that was getting really annoying but I didn't want to say anything."

Spent the rest of our night relaxing and we watched an amazing movie, Side Effects. I had been wanting to see it for awhile but I didn't think Rick would be interested, the trailer makes it seem very different than it really is which is a very dramatic, thrilling, mysterious movie with tons of twists and turns. I highly recommend you see it.

Only 24 days to go now. I am off to lesson plan for the day and start cleaning out our spare room. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment