14 January 2014

13 Things I Won't Miss About Taiwan

So I have been getting a little sad lately about leaving Taiwan. Leaving the place I've lived for a year. Leaving all these people and places that I see on a daily basis and will probably never see again. I have decided to combat this sadness I will make a list of things about Taiwan that drive me crazy aka 13 things that I won't miss.. one for each month that I have been here!

1. Driving a scooter in the rain

2. Not being able to just order what I want at a restaurant without some kind of language barrier

3. How much it rains

4. The amount of times I have been sick in the past year

5. Lunch boxes, pig's blood, chicken butt, red bean soup, red bean anything, taro, squid balls, fish ball soup; Taiwanese food dishes that I do not understand

6. Mosquitoes

7. Eating dinner every single night at 9:30 or even later

8. The complete disregard that drivers have for each other

9. Not being able to properly discipline children because they don't speak enough English

10. Scaring children in stores simply because I am a foreigner and they've never seen a foreigner before

11. Knowing enough Chinese to know that people are talking about me but not what they are saying

12. Learning the frustrating language that is Chinese

13. "You're Canadian.. why are you cold?"

2 comments:

  1. Why are you cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because while it doesn't get nearly AS cold in Taiwan as it gets in Canada.. it still gets relatively cold. Driving on a scooter in 10 degree weather in the pouring rain is freezing. And then you arrive home to your nicely heated apartment. But wait, Taiwan doesn't have central heating... so you have to turn on your space heater and crawl under a blanket until you get warm. So yeah.. I get cold.. no central heating just about does it for me. There is no break from the cold air here.

      Delete