18 September 2013

In Loving Memory of George Pitul

This morning, I called my mom for our regular every day morning Skype date. She was on Skype but no answer, odd but I thought nothing of it. She often falls asleep on the couch. I call the house, no answer. Then I went to breakfast this morning with two of my friends to a waffle restaurant. My day started out normal, had to wait a half hour for my lazy friends to get out of bed. But finally I was able to enjoy my chocolate banana waffle and caramel macchiato. I return home and continue planning for Hong Kong, trying to figure out the bus to get to the airport. This is when I realize I have a message from both my father and brother telling me to call home, "anytime." The words anytime begin to scare me. My family goes to bed at 11PM, they don't stay up late. I knew from that word, it was going to be bad news. 

I call them at 12:30AM (their time), and my dad is wide awake. He tells me to wait a second, he will turn on skype. I ask if something is wrong, he says, "I'll talk to you on Skype in a second." I knew something was wrong. 

My grandfather passed away tonight. He has a form of dementia that is worsened every time he has a stroke. When I left for Taiwan, I said goodbye to my Grandpa. At the time, he wasn't doing so good and I was convinced that that would be the last time I would see him. However lately he has been doing good, a lot better than usual the past few weeks and I was starting to believe that he would still be around when I returned home. I was wrong. They believe he had another stroke. He passed away peacefully with his family around him. I know it was for the best but that doesn't make it any less sad. While my grandpa has changed in recent years, I still remember him as the man who used to give me the biggest hugs in the world, as well as the scruffiest kisses. I remember the man who used to always encourage me to go for that second candy in their candy jar (which was somehow always full..). I remember the man who could be louder than anyone, without even trying. I remember the man who was always excited to see me, no matter what. I remember the man who dressed up as Santa every year for myself and my brother. On Christmas Eve, my parents would have both sets of my grandparents over for dinner. For some reason, my grandpa was unable to show up until after Santa came. He would come to our house as Santa and we would get to open a present early. I remember how lucky I thought we were, that Santa would come to OUR house, one night early just to say hi. I always felt so sad that my Grandpa missed Santa's visit each year. Then I grew up and realized who was really coming to the house. But there were still a few Christmases where I pretended I didn't know who was really under that beard. I knew just how much enjoyment he got out of pretending to be Santa Claus for his grandchildren. I remember the man who was so loyal to my Nanny, he was always willing to stand up for her in whatever she wanted to do. I remember the man who was willing to go anywhere and do anything with his wife. And I know just how much my Nanny appreciated that. She did everything she could before having to put him in a home. She tried so hard to take care of him all by herself but it was too much. Even though she didn't drive, she found a way to his nursing home every single day. Their love lasted a lifetime and I hope she has the strength to remember that. I will always remember my Grandpa as the man who loved me and wasn't afraid to show it with a gigantic kiss. 

This would be hard enough if I were in Canada but the fact remains that I am living in Taiwan. I was told not to come home but it makes me really sad that I won't be there for this, for my nanny. For my family.

I love you so much, Grandpa.
You will be missed everyday.
xox

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, your words are truly heartfelt. The words of a loving granddaughter. He was so proud of you. Please cherish your memories, they will help lighten your heavy heart.
    Love Carmel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words from the heart Melissa..

    We had no idea about your blog, your Dad just told me and so here we are. I know your time is almost up there but will join anyway to keep up.

    Bill and Wendy

    ReplyDelete